header logo

 

Dr. Kelly McAllister
practices at both
locations

Campus Health Centre
Downtown

Downtown Location
Ontario Street
Private parking is available free at the rear of the building, entrance on north side


Campus Health Centre Location
Parking is available behind the Campus Recreation Centre. A ticket will be given by the parking attendant that must be stamped and signed by the Health Centre Clerk upon completion of treatment for you to receive free parking.

 

mcallister chiropractic hours of operation

 

John Kerr, father of William Kerr, acquired two hundred acres of land on the second concession of East Whitby Township. After John's death, William Kerr inherited this land and in 1875 he subdivided it, which included parts of the present King and Bond Streets. This plan is legally known as the William Kerr Plan. William Kerr sold a lot to Dr. William McGill between 1875 and 1879.

William McGill taught school in Oshawa for a few years, then studied medicine at McGill University. He continued his studies and graduated from a New York University as a medical doctor. Dr. McGill was involved in education and also served as Reeve of the Town for two years.

In 1879 Dr. McGill sold (for natural love and affection for the sum of 1 dollar), Lot 3, north of King Street (which is 17 Ontario Street) to his daughter Christina Victoria McGill, as a dowry. Miss McGill became the wife of William M. Currie.
Much interest developed during the building of this home. Two bricklayers, one working on 17 Ontario Street and the other on a nearby building became friendly rivals (each striving to do outstanding work). When the bricklaying was completed, the people of the town agreed, 17 Ontario Street had a superb exterior.


At the turn of the century, Oshawa was known as the Manchester of Canada. Dr. F.L. Henry, a high profile Liberal, persuaded the legislature to build a much needed Post Office in Oshawa. The site was the northeast corner of Ontario and King Streets. Two houses, including 17 Ontario Street, had to be moved closer to Bond Street to give sufficient land for a large, efficient Post Office and a Customs Office. The Post Office was officially opened, circa 1904.

John Lawrie lived on the corner of Bond and Ontario Streets. As a young lad he worked for Dr. F.L. Henry, whose dental office and laboratory was on the southwest corner of Ontario and King Streets.

Dr. Henry was aware of John's mechanical inclination and taught him to work with gold and make dentures. John in turn, taught his Wilfred. They were highly skilled dental technicians.

Several years after the home was moved, it was rented Mr. Alfred Hines, who was the first Magistrate in Oshawa. Mr. Lionel Hines, (who has been an excellent source in helping compile this history ), was born at 17 Ontario Street.

Mr. John Lawrie purchased 17 Ontario Street from Mr. A.J. Carnegie in 1945. At this time Clancy & McCleod used the building as a printing shop. Upon the death of his father, Wilfred Lawrie inherited the property, which he sold in 1975 to Jack Donabie. He was the proprietor of Central Printing Services. The property was the sold to Morden and Hedwig, an insurance agency.
In 1987, Dr. Kevin McAllister purchased 17 Ontario Street which became a chiropractic clinic.

We should like to thank the following people for their help, patience and encouragement in finding this information:

Beverly, from the Ontario Land Registry Office
Mrs. Dora Mechin
Messrs. Wilfred Lawrie, Lionel Hines, Paul Hines, A.W. Petre
Alan Hamilton, from the Reading Room of the Church of Jesus Christ Latter Day Saints
And all the staff from the Reference Library, McLaughlin Library